After 48 years as a litigator, estate planner and counselor, Pete Thaxter has now become Of Counsel to the firm. Pete has worked with multiple generations of the firm’s clients and their families to help them with family business issues, succession planning, and their estates. While he is still available to help clients on a limited basis, he is not in the office daily.
For more than 40 years, Pete led the estate planning group and had focused on business succession and traditional estate planning. He also for the past 40 years represented beachfront and other property owners in protecting their rights. In the landmark Moody Beach and Goose Rocks Beach cases, he helped protect the landowners from claims by the towns and neighbors.
Pete has served on the Portland School Committee, Portland Charter Commission, the Maine Community Foundation, the Greater Portland Chambers of Commerce as Chair, the Portland Historical Preservation Committee, as Chairman & Vice Chair, the Board Network, and Lift 360 as Chair (formerly the Institute for Civic Leadership).
The best way to reach Pete is to contact him care of Rebecca Kinney through email or the phone number below.
- Estate Planning and Probate
- Litigation and Administrative Law
- Reginald Huber Smith Fellow Attorney
- J.D.,—Boston College Law School
- B.A.,—Middlebury College
- Supply Officer—U.S. Navy
Bar Admissions and Memberships
- Supreme Judicial Court of Maine
- U.S. Supreme Court
- U.S. District Court for the District of Maine
- U.S. Court of Appeals, First Circuit
- Maine State Bar Association (former Governor)
- Cumberland County Bar Association