Pete Thaxter chairs the firm’s Estate Planning and Probate Practice Group. For more than thirty years, he has led the estate planning group and has also focused on business succession and traditional estate planning. He continues to represent beachfront and other property owners in protecting their property from claims of neighbors. In the landmark Moody Beach and Goose Rocks Beach cases, he helped protect the landowners from claims by the towns and neighbors.
Pete has worked with multiple generations of the firm’s clients and their families to help them with family business issues, succession planning and their estates.
Pete has served on the Portland School Committee, Portland Charter Commission, the Maine Community Foundation, the Greater Portland Chambers of Commerce as Chair, the Portland Historical Preservation Committee, as Chairman & Vice Chair, the Board Network, and Lift 360 as Chair (formerly the Institute for Civic Leadership).
- Estate Planning and Probate
- Litigation and Administrative Law
- Reginald Huber Smith Fellow Attorney
- J.D.,—Boston College Law School
- B.A.,—Middlebury College
- Supply Officer—U.S. Navy
Bar Admissions and Memberships
- Supreme Judicial Court of Maine
- U.S. Supreme Court
- U.S. District Court for the District of Maine
- U.S. Court of Appeals, First Circuit
- Maine State Bar Association (former Governor)
- Cumberland County Bar Association